How do I access my Veteran's benefits?
1. Contact HACC's Military and Veteran Affairs office (MVA).
- Set up an appointment to obtain information about Military and Veterans education Benefits eligibility.
- Hours vary based on semester and campus. View MVAO hours and contact information.
2. Apply for GI Bill® benefits.
- Apply online at www.gibill.va.gov or https://www.va.gov/education/how-to-apply/
- Chapter 30, 33, 1606 &1607 —VA form 22-1990
- Chapter 33 Dependent —VA Form 22-1990E
- Chapter 35 and Fry scholarship —VA Form 22-5490
- Chapter 31 Vocation Rehabilitation and Employment should meet with a VR&E counselor
- Electronically attach DD-214 or NOBE to your application. Do this when applying online.
- Electronically attach any additional entitlement (e.g. Kicker or College Fund).
3. Print out the submitted application and a copy of your DD-214 or NOBE.
- Bring these to your VA briefing appointment or a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE).
4. Meet with your academic advisor. Register for classes.
5. Submit the Veterans Benefits Request form (Yellow Sheet) on myHACC.
- You need to submit a Yellow Sheet every semester. You must also submit a Yellow Sheet when you add or change classes.
- Our Yellow Sheet instructions can be found on our Veterans Benefits Request Form web page
6. Submit for Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)
- FTA is for Army/Air National Guard and All Reserve forces.
- Apply for FTA each semester through your unit of assignment.
- Submit your approved paperwork to HACC's MVA team.
- HACC will bill for the tuition with your approved FTA documentation.
7. Submit for Educational Assistance Program (EAP)
- EAP is for PA Army/Air National Guard forces.
- Apply for EAP benefits through PHEAA's website each year.
- Contact HACC's MVA every semester to confirm EAP status.
- When you submit your Yellow Sheet the MVAO will place a financial hold on your account.
8. Submt for Military Family Education Program (MFEP) benefits
- MFEP for eligible family members of PA Army/Air National Guard forces.
- Apply for MFEP benefits through PHEAA's website each year.
- Contact HACC's MVA every semester to confirm your MFEP status.
- When you submit your Yellow Sheet, the MVA team will place a financial hold on your account.
Checklist for Veterans
Download a printer-friendly version of this checklist (pdf).
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.