Learn about EMS Academy.
What is the EMS Academy?
The EMS Academy is designed for the potential EMS provider to obtain Nationally Registered EMT certification along with additional courses such as HazMat, NIMS, and training in vehicle extrication and rescue practices.
This program provides the opportunity to be proactive in your training; creating a professional portfolio of certifications within the evolving field of EMS.
As highly motivated individuals who challenge themselves as they enter this extremely rewarding and exciting career, many of our graduates have experienced continued success in our Advanced EMT and Paramedic programs
When does the Academy begin? How much does it cost?
The 24th EMS Academy will begin on Aug. 27, 2018 and conclude on Nov. 30, 2018. Tuition for the Academy is $3,000. The academy is Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. each day at the Shumaker Public Safety Center.
This concentrated program requires over 550 hours of training and may require some evenings and weekends.
What does the program cover?
Upon successful completion of the Academy, you will have obtained:
- Pennsylvania Department of Health and National Registry Emergency Medical Technician certification (EMT)
- Emergency Vehicle Driver Training (EVDT)
- International Trauma Life Support (ITLS)
- Bloodborne Pathogens (BBP)
- Hazardous Materials Awareness
- Pediatric Emergency Assessment Recognition and Stabilization (PEARS)
- ACLS for the EMT
- National Incident Management System Components (overview, IS100, IS200, IS700, IS800)
- Basic Vehicle Rescue Awareness
- Training in vehicle extrication, rescue practices and physical development
You will schedule clinical rotation time on regional area ambulances during the program. You will perform as a member of the EMS crew.
Attendance is mandatory. We recommend that candidates do not hold employment while attending the Academy.
How do I get more information or an application?
Contact the EMS Education Unit at 717-780-2618 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional questions or information. Submission of an application does NOT guarantee admission or enrollment into the EMS Academy.