Health Careers Shadowing, Career Investigation & Hospital Directions
HACC encourages you to arrange an in-depth, one-on-one shadowing experience with a professional in your career area. Below is contact information for local hospitals.
- Your first step is to check the admission criteria for your program to see if shadowing is required, or if there are specific instructions and forms
- Image is everything
- Remember to present a professional image.
- Dress and act professionally and appropriately when arranging and attending your shadowing day.
- Some facilities may require you to complete background checks and have a flu shot.
- Some facilities may want at least a month advance notice of your desired shadow date.
UPMC PinnacleHealth offers a Student Career Exploration Program that includes Destination Imaging, Extreme Nurse, Experience the Lab, a Health Care Career Night (usually April/October), summer internships and shadowing. All are excellent career investigation tools.
To arrange shadowing, contact the hospital or health-care facility. Often it is the Volunteer office that handles shadowing.
Before you begin making contacts, check the admission criteria for your program to make sure you are following the proper procedure if shadowing is required.
To set up a shadowing opportunity, contact:
- Geisinger Holy Spirit Hospital (Camp Hill). Contact Darlene Heiges in Volunteer Services, 717-763-2656 or learn more online.
- Penn Medicine Lancaster General. Contact Human Resources (717) 544-4915 arrange shadowing. Learn more online (includes online shadow request form)
- Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. Contact the Office of Academic Placement or learn more online (includes online shadow request form)
- Summit Health - Chambersburg & Waynesboro. Contact Kim Taylor at 717-262-4628 for specific questions or learn more online (includes online shadow request form).
- UPMC Pinnacle. Learn more online (includes online shadow request form) (Volunteer Services)
- UPMC Pinnacle Volunteer Contact Information - https://www.pinnaclehealth.org/giving-back/volunteer/
- UPMC Pinnacle Carlisle (Carlisle Regional Medical Center). Contact Recruiter, 717-960-3253 for an information packet.
- UPMC Hanover Hospital. Contact Volunteer Services at 717-316-2136.
- UPMC Pinnacle Lancaster (Lancaster Regional Medical Center). Contact Volunteer Services, 717-291-8126.
- UPMC Memorial Hospital (York) Contact Jennifer Warfel 717-849-5470 or email@example.com
- WellSpan - Ephrata Hospital. Contact Volunteer Services at 717-738-6117 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- WellSpan - Gettysburg . Contact Human Resources at 717-334-4113. https://www.wellspan.org/medical-professionals/education/wellspan-gettysburg-hospital-shadowing-program/ (includes online shadow request form. Allow up to 4 weeks to schedule.
- WellSpan - Good Samaritan Hospital (Lebanon). Contact Educational Services at 717-270-7759
- Wellspan - York. Contact Wellspan Human Resources at 717-851-2302 or learn more online (includes online shadow request form). Allow up to 4 weeks to schedule.
Hospital locations and driving directions