Culinary Arts/Catering: Diploma (0121)
ATTENTION: This program has been inactivated by the Department effective Fall 18 and will no long be available for enrollments at that time.
Do you have a passion for creating delicious dishes? Are you considering an entrepreneurial career where you can apply your culinary skills? If you’ve answered yes to any of these questions, the culinary arts could be a perfect match. With our Culinary Arts/Catering Diploma Program, you’ll get the foundation you need to develop your skills into a rewarding career.
What can I do with this in the workforce?
After graduating from our Culinary Arts/Catering Diploma Program, you’ll be ready to seek employment in restaurants, institutions and cafeterias. You can become a:
- Catering cook or server
- Food preparation worker or server
- Personal chef
- Small food service or catering business manager or owner
While a passion for the culinary arts is important, there are several other traits that can help you succeed:
- Persistence — The culinary arts requires long hours in high-pressure working environments.
- Solid communication skills — You’ll work with the public as well as a team.
- Ability to solve problems creatively — While working in a fast-paced environment, you’ll need to find quick solutions to ensure customer happiness.
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- What occupations are in demand within the region you select
- The number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- The anticipated number of job openings available — just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
What is HACC’s program like?
We designed our program to lead directly to employment. You’ll learn food preparation, production and service skills in the classroom and in on-campus labs.
After completing our program, you’ll be able to:
- Plan, prepare and compose a complete meal, including culinary and bakery items using standardized recipes
- Apply industry sanitation and safety procedures
- Demonstrate foundational cooking techniques and knife skills
- Exhibit management skills in professionalism, employee relations, food and beverage service, and event planning and contract pricing
- Create working recipes based on developed flavor profiles and analyzing food costs to determine a selling price
Federal regulations require the College to disclose specific gainful employment information about this program. This link will provide you with information on completion rates and placement, program costs and median loan debt.
What classes will I take?
We encourage you to:
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Our diploma program is designed to lead you directly into the workforce. However, if you wish to continue your education with us and pursue an associate degree, all of your credits count towards the completion of our associate degree.
Where can I complete this program?
You can complete the entire program at our Harrisburg Campus. We offer all culinary arts/catering classes in the daytime, but some classes are offered in the evening on a rotating basis.
Does HACC offer scholarships?
When can I apply?
We hold classes in the spring, summer and fall. We encourage you to visit our website to apply anytime. Please include program code 0121 with your application to ensure you apply to the correct one.
How can I learn more?
When you partner with us for your culinary arts education, we’ll help you turn YOUR passion into a fulfilling career. Our innovative professors will teach you the foundations you need to succeed in the culinary arts and catering industry.