Architectural Technology: Certificate (4170)
ATTENTION: This program has been inactivated by the Department effective Fall 2018 and will no longer be accepting new enrollments.
Are you an analytical person and have an interest in the technical aspects of buildings? Do you have a keen eye for details and a desire to work with computers and construction blueprints?
We can help you start your path to a career in architectural technology through our certificate program.
What can I do with this in the workforce?
After graduating from our Architectural Technology Certificate Program, you will be able to look for employment in architectural, design-build, construction, interior design firms and related settings.
You can work as a computer-aided design (CAD) operator or building information modeling (BIM) operator and prepare construction documents for different building types.
Individuals who explore this type of job, describe themselves as someone who demonstrates strong computer skills, enjoys drawing, works independently, can handle pressure and likes thinking about how small parts form larger structures.
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
What is HACC’s program like?
Our innovative program focuses on Building Information Modeling (BIM) software, which relates to 3-D models, and how to apply codes when preparing architectural construction documents. Throughout the program, you will also explore structural, mechanical and electrical construction documents as well as architectural presentation drawings.
Upon completion of the program, you will have the skills to:
- Conceptualize the technical requirements of an architectural project and prepare preliminary, design development and working drawings using CAD and BIM software
- Prepare all required general construction drawings
- Explain mechanical, electrical and structural systems and their integration into the building process
- Explain construction materials, systems and methods used in architectural construction
- Use a computer in an architectural office or related setting
Federal regulations require that the College disclose specific gainful employment information about our program. This link will provide you with information on completion rates and placement, program costs and median loan debt.
What classes will I take?
We encourage you to:
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
The Architectural Technology Certificate Program is designed to lead you directly to employment. However, you may transfer your credits into our Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in architectural technology if you want to future your education.
Where can I complete this program?
You can complete the entire program at our Harrisburg Campus.
Does HACC offer scholarships?
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, there are scholarships available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details and deadlines.
When can I apply?
We offer classes in the spring, summer and fall. You can apply anytime by visiting our website. When you apply, please be sure to include program code 4170. Using this specific code ensures you are applying to the correct program.
How can I learn more?