Professional Bookkeeping: Diploma (0360)
ATTENTION: This program has been inactivated by the department for Fall 2018 and will no longer be available for new student enrollments. Interested new students should consider reviewing the Professional Bookkeeping Certificate (major code #1206) - new Fall 2018.
Are you detail-oriented and have excellent organizational skills? Are you good at solving problems through research and creative thinking? If this sounds like you, you may want to consider a career in bookkeeping.
Our Professional Bookkeeping Diploma Program can put you on a path to a rewarding career. Our program prepares you for the national exam sponsored by the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers.
What can I do with this in the workforce?
Once you graduate from our Professional Bookkeeping diploma program, you’ll be ready to find employment as a full-charge bookkeeper in a variety of industries and businesses. A full-charge bookkeeper is responsible for all bookkeeping tasks, especially in a small business environment where responsibilities include unsupervised activities like monthly financial statements and payroll taxes. You may work for:
- Accounting firms
- Small businesses
- Nonprofit organizations
If you have the following traits, you may also find success and fulfillment as a bookkeeper:
- Attention to detail with the ability to see the bigger picture
- Ability to effectively communicate with others
- Strong math and computer skills
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- What occupations are in demand within the region you select
- The number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- The anticipated number of job openings available — just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now.
What is HACC’s program like?
Our Professional Bookkeeping Diploma Program gives you the essential skills you need in today’s business environment. By completing this diploma, you’ll be ready to pursue a position as a professional bookkeeper.
The program will also help you pass the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers sponsored national certification exam. This exam indicates your expertise in the area. Once you pass the exam and have two years of working experience, you can use the designation of “certified bookkeeper.”
As you complete our program, you will:
- Perform all functions of accounting for sole proprietorships, partnerships and corporations
- Implement an effective system of internal control
- Show proficiency in operating microcomputer-based accounting systems and developing solutions to accounting problems using computerized spreadsheets
- Access the Internet and operate websites and databases in order to retrieve and analyze business information
- Analyze financial statements, recognize potential problems and suggest appropriate solutions
- Write and speak effectively in a business context
- Complete bank reconciliations and track all needed payroll information for businesses
- Pass the Certified Bookkeeper exam
Federal regulations require the College to disclose specific gainful employment information about this program. This link will provide you with information on completion rates and placement, program costs and median loan debt.
What classes will I take?
We encourage you to:
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Our diploma program is designed to lead you directly into the workforce. However, if you wish to continue your education with us and pursue an associate degree, all of your credits count towards the completion of our associate degree.
Where can I complete this program?
Does HACC offer scholarships?
When can I apply?
You can enroll in HACC classes for the spring, summer and fall anytime by visiting our website. When you apply, please include program code 0360 with your application. This code ensures you are applying to the correct program.
How can I learn more?
Choose HACC for the essential skills you need to succeed in today’s business environment.
With HACC on your side, you have a partner dedicated to YOUR success. Our admissions counselors or Dr. Michelle Myers, business studies department chair, can answer your questions about the program. You also can request more information online. We look forward to helping you enroll in this exciting program.