Programs And Courses

Architecture (4010)

Printer-Friendly Version

Architecture: Associate in Arts (AA)  (4010)

ATTENTION: This program has been inactivated by the Department effective Fall 2018 and will no be accepting new student enrollments. Interested students should review our Architectural Technology AAS (#4470) and diploma (#0650) programs.

Are you a person who enjoys drawing, thinking creatively and solving problems? Are you interested in geometry and math? Are you a visual thinker with an eye for design? If you have an interest in these areas, our Associate in Arts (AA) in architecture is for you. 


What can I do with this in the workforce?

Our program prepares you to transfer your HACC credits to pursue your bachelor’s degree.

Once you receive your bachelor’s degree, your interests can guide you into different opportunities in the profession. Examples of opportunities in the workforce include:

  • Architect
  • Building surveyor
  • Estimator
  • Landscape architect
  • Project manager in engineering

You are most likely to excel in this profession if you:

  • Can play close attention to details while also seeing the larger picture
  • Have strong graphical visualization skills
  • Can present the same idea in different ways
  • Enjoy working with others and possess solid communication skills
  • Have strong reasoning skills and enjoy problem-solving


What is the average salary?

Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:

  • Average hourly wages
  • Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
  • Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
  • Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
  • Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few! 


What is HACC’s program like? 

We designed our associate degree in architecture to help you transfer your credits to a four-year school and pursue a bachelor’s degree to become a registered architect. You must have a professional bachelor’s degree from an accredited school in order to become a registered architect in Pennsylvania.  

After graduating from our program, you will be able to: 

  • Transfer into an architectural or facilities management program at a four-year institution
  • Develop your own philosophy and process for preparing architectural designs
  • Prepare an architectural portfolio that comprises the graphical solutions to common architectural design problems
  • Utilize industry terminology in preparing architectural drawings and communicate design solutions to outside individuals
  • Resolve complex architectural programs within contextual issues


What classes will I take?

We encourage you to:
  • View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
  • Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
  • Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.


Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?

Affordably YOURS, our associate degree programs are designed to be flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities with no loss of credit. However, each individual college has its own unique program. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so that you can take the proper class at HACC.

Browse our various transfer options below:

Drexel University: Architecture (pdf)

Morgan State University: Architecture & Environmental Design (pdf)

Temple University: Architecture into Facilities Management (pdf)

In addition to the transfer options listed above, this program also transfers into the Bachelor of Science (BS) in facilities management at Temple University. If you are interested in pursuing this option, we encourage you to apply for dual admission. Our dual admission program provides a simplified transfer process. Learn more about the benefits of dual admissions.


Where can I complete this program? 

You can complete the entire program at our Harrisburg Campus.


Does HACC offer scholarships?

Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, there are scholarships available. Please visit for details and deadlines.


When can I apply?

You can enroll in classes in the spring, summer and fall and apply anytime by visiting our website. When you submit your application, please include the unique program code 4010. By using this code, you can make sure you are applying to the correct program.


How can I learn more?

If you want to pursue a career as a registered architect, we want to help you get there. Please contact an admissions counselor or department chair Kelley Engle, to learn more. You may also request more information online.