Online Tutoring: SMARTHINKING
SMARTHINKING is live, online, personalized learning assistance. It is available for many subjects. Learn about SMARTHINKING.
What subjects does SMARTHINKING support?
View Topics Supported by SMARTHINKING for an up-to-date list of subjects.
How can I use SMARTHINKING?
You can use SMARTHINKING for:
- Live, scheduled tutoring
- Drop-in tutoring
- Offline questions
- Help brainstorming a paper
- A review of your paper
- Help with a math problem
- Connecting with an e-structor and interacting with a live tutor
- Receiving feedback on your writing from a tutor. This usually occurs within 24 hours.
- Receiving a reply to your questions. A tutor will usually reply within 24 hours.
How do I get started with SMARTHINKING?
To use SMARTHINKING, you need to create or update your account. You must:
- Log in to Desire2Learn (D2L) or access D2L from myHACC.
- Click on "SMARTHINKING" under the "Help for Students" area on your "My Home page. Your SMARTHINKING account window will open.
- Click "Yes" when asked if you will accept the plug-in.
When you log into SMARTHINKING through D2L for the first time, you may see an option to transfer your old tutoring session records. You can either:
- Type in your old username and password. This will transfer your old tutoring session records.
- Click "Skip" if you never used SMARTHINKING before and have no old tutoring sessions.
How do I learn about using SMARTHINKING?
There are resources to help you navigate the website and use the service:
- Log in to SMARTHINKING.
- View the SMARTHINKING Student Handbook under the "Academic Resources" tab.
What should I do if I have technical difficulties?
If you experience technical difficulties, make sure:
- You set your browser to allow cookies and pop-up windows. SMARTHINKING uses both of these.
- You are using recommended browsers. Recommended browsers include Firefox 12+, Internet Explorer 9.0+, Safari 5.0+ and Google Chrome 20.0+.
- You install Java. If you need to install Java, go to Java's Website. Follow the instructions for the free download.
If you are still having technical difficulties: