Why should I use tutoring services?
- It is free.
- You can gain a better understanding of course material.
- You can possibly earn a higher grade.
When does HACC hold tutoring sessions?
Check your campus schedule.
Do I need to schedule an appointment?
No, you do not need to schedule an appointment. Tutoring is available on a walk-in basis.
Who are the tutors?
The tutoring centers are staffed by two types of tutors:
- Professional tutors —These tutors hold at least a bachelor's degree. They may be adjunct instructors on campus.
- Peer tutors —These are students who have successfully completed the course(s) and have been recommended by at least two faculty members.
How can I maximize my tutoring session?
- Bring all necessary class items. These include textbook, assignment, calculator, notes, handouts, flash drive and your own work.
- Bring your HACC ID. You will use your HACC ID to sign in and sign out.
- Come a few days before the assignment is due.
- Allow for a 20 to 30 minute session. Lengthy or involved topics may take more than one session.
- Be an active participant during the tutoring sessions. Take notes and ask questions.
- Come prepared. Complete the assignment to the best of your ability before meeting with a tutor.
- Write down specific questions.
What does the tutor do?
The tutor can review your work and help you improve. Tutors can also help you discover useful learning strategies.
The tutor is not able to:
- Do the work for you
- Guarantee you will receive a certain grade
What kind of math help can I get?
Tutors can help you:
- Work through problems that are similar to ones on homework or review sheets
- Strengthen computation skills
- Practice problem solving
- Highlight important concepts
What kind of writing help can I get?
Writing tutors can:
- Help you plan and focus your paper
- Suggest ways of clarifying thesis statements and arguments
- Suggest ways of strengthening conclusions
- Point out repeated grammatical, mechanical and punctuation errors
- Provide guidance with documentation
- Provide references to textbooks and electronic sources
Tutors do not provide editing or proofreading services.
What other services and resources are available?
Various software packages are installed on most tutoring center computers. You can use these software packages at your convenience.
You can also find informational handouts on a variety of study skills. These include note-taking, time management, study tips and test preparation. Visit your campus tutoring center for more information.
What is SMARTHINKING?
- An online tutoring service
- Free for all registered HACC students
SMARTHINKING offers tutoring in:
- Math —all levels
- Writing for all subjects
Click here for information on how to access SMARTHINKING.