HACC Students

Employment Options

The F-1 visa status allows students to study full-time in the U.S., but does not allow much opportunity for students to work.  F-1 international students may accept work or engage in business only under certain conditions.  International students who are in legal status are eligible for the following types of employment.

On-campus Employment
F-1 international students may work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and up to 40 hours per week during vacation periods.  

See the Career Center for on-campus job postings and application procedures.  Do not expect to find on-campus employment immediately.  It is important to keep checking the job postings.  Once you are hired for on-campus work, you must apply for a social security card.  Students may not begin work until they receive the social security card.

Off-campus Employment:
Curricular Practical Training
Curricular practical training (CPT) is defined as "work/study programs," internships, health career clinical work, cooperative education programs, or any other type of required internship or practicum.  The employment must be a required or optional part of the student's degree program.  Generally this means that the student must receive college credit for the work performed.  For more information and to apply please see the CPT Guide (pdf).

Optional Practical Training
F-1 international students may only work off campus with permission from the Department of Homeland Security. Students who have been in F-1 status for at least one academic year are eligible to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) (pdf) which is temporary employment in their field of study for purposes of gaining practical experience.  Students should begin this application process 30-45 days before their desired employment start date.  Please schedule an appointment with the International Student Coordinator or campus DSO to review the application process. Economic Hardship

If an F-1 international student is experiencing severe economic hardship due to unforeseen circumstances he/she can apply for off campus employment based on severe economic hardship.  Please see the Economic Hardship Guide (pdf) and schedule an appointment with the International Student Coordinator or campus DSO to review the application process.

Social Security
F-1 international students are not eligible for a social security number unless you are authorized to work off-campus or are offered employment on campus.  If you have been offered a job on campus, print the Social Security Letter (pdf) and get the appropriate signatures in order to apply for a social security number.  Students may not begin work on campus until you receive your social security card.