spacer Apply Now!!
Spacer HACC Home Page


State Residency Reclassification

Step 1: 
The Student must file a petition (pdf) with the Welcome Center at the campus they attend. The petition (pdf) must contain a statement of rationale to support the student's claim of Pennsylvania or other domicile residency reclassification.

Note: A student who changes his or her residence from Pennsylvania to another state or who’s Visa changes to a nonimmigrant type (includes undocumented) must give prompt written notice to the College by completing the petition (pdf). The College may reclassify a student if it believes he or she is no longer a Pennsylvania resident. A student may challenge a residency classification by submitting a petition (pdf) to the Welcome Center (formerly Registration Office).

Step 2:
Also accompanying the petition (pdf) shall be supporting documentation or convincing evidence as defined by PA Code.

  • Lease or purchase of a permanent, independent residence within Pennsylvania by the student. (preferred by HACC)
  • Payment of appropriate state and local taxes. Special attention should be given to payment of Pennsylvania taxes on income earned during periods of temporary absence from Pennsylvania. (preferred by HACC)

If you cannot obtain one of the prior two preferred documents as evidence, contact the Welcome Center for guidance in determining what combination of the following may be accepted:

  • Transfer of bank accounts, stock, automobiles, and other registered property to Pennsylvania from another state.
  • Procurement of a Pennsylvania driver's license.
  • Procurement of a Pennsylvania motor vehicle registration.
  • Agreement for permanent, full-time employment in Pennsylvania.
  • Membership in social, civic, political, athletic, and religious organizations located in Pennsylvania.
  • Registration to vote in Pennsylvania.
  • A sworn statement by the student, or his/her parents or guardian in the case of a minor, declaring his/her intention to make Pennsylvania his/her residence either permanently or for an indefinite period of time.
  • A sworn statement from the parents or guardian of a minor setting forth facts to establish the minor's financial independence and separate residence.

Step 3:
The petition (pdf) and supporting documentation should be submitted by the student to the campus they attend. View list of campus contacts.

Pennsylvania State Residency Qualifications

In order to qualify for Pennsylvania resident tuition, a student must meet criteria in accordance with The Pennsylvania Code - 35.29b,Commonwealth Residency.

Domicile is the place where one intends to and, in fact, does permanently reside. In order to establish Commonwealth residency, the following presumptions shall be considered along with documentary evidence or statements from disinterested persons, or both:

1. Continuous residence in Pennsylvania for 12 months prior to the start of the enrolled term. A student may rebut this presumption by convincing evidence. 

2. U.S. citizenship, formal declaration of intent to become a citizen, or admission to the United States on an immigrant visa. A nonimmigrant visa is not proof of intent of residency. The following nonimmigrant visa  types do not qualify for state residency:

  • B-1 Temporary visitor for business
  • B-2 Temporary visitor for pleasure
  • C-1 Alien in transit directly through the U.S.
  • C-1D Combined transit and crewman visa
  • C-2 Alien in transit to United Nations headquarters district under Section 11 (3), (4), or (5) of headquarters agreement
  • C-3 Foreign government official, members of immediate family, attendant, servant, or personal employee, in transit
  • C-4 Transit without visa, see TWOV
  • D-1 Crew member departing on same vessel or arrival
  • D-2 Crew member departing by means of other vessel of arrival
  • F-1 Student in academic or language program
  • F-2 Spouse or child of F-1 student
  • H-2A Temporary Agricultural Worker
  • H-2B Temporary worker: Skilled or unskilled
  • H-3 Trainee
  • J-1 Exchange visitor
  • J-2 Spouse or child of J-1
  • K-1* Fiancée or fiancé of U.S. citizen
  • K-2* Minor child of K-1
  • K-3* Spouse of a U.S. Citizen (LIFE Act)
  • K-4* Child of K-3
  • M-1 Vocational Student or other nonacademic student
  • M-2 Spouse or child of M-1
  • Q-1 International cultural exchange visitors
  • Q-2 Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program (Walsh Visas)
  • Q-3 Spouse or child of Q-1 or Q-2
  • S-5 Informant of Criminal organization information
  • S-6 Informant of terrorism information
  • TD2* Spouse or child accompanying TN
  • TN1* Professionals from Canada or Mexico who enter the U. S. under the NAFTA agreements
  • TPS Temporary Protected Status
  • TWOV Passenger
  • TWOV Crew
  • Undocumented
  • WB/WT Waived (includes spouse or child of Visa holder)

* Some exceptions may apply. Students with questions would need to speak with the Coordinator of International Admissions or Campus Welcome Center Director/Coordinator. Contact your campus Welcome Center for more information.

3. Pennsylvania residency by parent(s) or guardian(s) of students who are minors. The age of majority in Pennsylvania for establishing an independent residence for tuition purposes is 22. A minor may, however, prove financial emancipation and independence through clear and convincing evidence.

4. A United States government employee or a member of the armed forces who was residing in Pennsylvania immediately prior to entering the government service and who has continuously maintained Pennsylvania as his or her legal residence is considered a Pennsylvania resident. Others in military service stationed in Pennsylvania are considered Pennsylvania residents. (as defined in PA Statutes, Title 24, Education, Chapter 3). In summary:

Military personnel and their dependents and civilian personnel and their dependents who are admitted to a community college or a state-related/owned institution shall be charged resident tuition rates provided that the student is a resident under this section on the first day of the semester or term of the college or institution. Specifically:

  • Military Personnel or their dependents who are assigned to an active duty station in PA and who reside in PA,
  • Any civilian personnel or their dependents employed at a department of defense facility who are transferred to PA by the Department of Defense and who reside in PA.

A student receiving a scholarship or grant dependent on residence in a state other than Pennsylvania is not considered a Pennsylvania resident.

A student who changes his or her residence from Pennsylvania to another state or who’s Visa changes to a nonimmigrant type (includes undocumented) must give prompt written notice to the College by completing the petition (pdf).

Each case shall be decided on the basis of all facts submitted, with qualitative rather than quantitative emphasis. No given number of factors is required for domicile, since the determination in each case is one of the subjective intentions of the student to reside permanently or indefinitely in Pennsylvania. 

If the student is not satisfied with the decision made by HACC, in response to the challenge, the student may take a written appeal to the office of the Secretary of Education, 333 Market Street, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17126-0333. The decision of the Secretary on the challenge is final.


The deadline to make a residence change is prior to the start of the enrolled term.

The College may reclassify a student if it believes he or she is no longer a Pennsylvania resident.

Site Map | Locations | Contact Us | Employment | Right to Know | Antidiscrimination Policy | Email Webmaster
One HACC Drive, Harrisburg PA 17110 (800) ABC-HACC   .:.  © 1996- 2014   .:.   updated: January 03, 2014
iTunesU Facebook TwitterLinked InYou Tube