Spring 2014 Commencement Ceremony
Tuesday, May 13, 2014
Pennsylvania State Farm Show Complex, Large Arena
Commencement day is fast approaching! Following are your final commencement instructions.
1. Caps and Gowns: Caps and gowns are available for purchase at each campus bookstore. Please refer to your specific campus bookstore for hours of operation.
2. Guests: Candidates may invite as many quests as they wish to the ceremony. Guests should report directly to the Large Arena. Refreshments will be for sale in the Large Arena venue.
3. Parking arrangements: Candidates and guests must park in designated parking areas and enter through the North Parking Entrance off Elmerton Avenue. The parking map is available at: http://www.hacc.edu/StudentLife/Commencement/upload/Farm-Show-Parking-2012.pdf
Candidates with disabilities attending the graduation ceremony may park in designated areas as shown on the parking map. Family members attending who have difficulty walking or who use a wheelchair may be dropped off at the Main Entrance off Cameron Street.
Candidates with disabilities participating in the ceremony should contact Julie Cullings at 717-736-4141 by May 6th, before 4 PM regarding special arrangements. To assist people with hearing impairments, closed captioning will be used during the ceremony.
4. Report to the NorthEast Hall inside the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex at 4:30 PM.
Enter through the Farm show Main Entrance and follow volunteers and posted signage. Candidates will robe and assemble alphabetically by campus. Candidates will complete a name card and be placed into line for the processional. Candidates arriving after 5:00 PM may not be able to walk in the assembly line for their campus. DO NOT BRING PURSES, CAMERAS OR OTHER VALUABLES TO THE ROBING ROOMS.
5. The Procession: Candidates will lead the graduation procession, followed by the faculty, the trustees and platform guests. Candidates will form a double line by campus for the procession and recession. Candidates will follow the lead of the Student Marshals during the ceremony.
6. During the Ceremony: Candidates should pay close attention to Dr. Ski, President of the College, for instructions during the entire ceremony. Candidates need to remain seated during the ceremony.
For the CONFERRAL OF DEGREES, CERTIFICATES, AND DIPLOMAS:
- The Faculty Marshals will signal each row to rise one at a time.
- Candidates will approach the stage and hand the Student Marshal their name card.
- Candidates’ names will be called by the Student Marshals.
- Candidates will go up the ramp onto the platform and receive their Diploma Covers.
- Candidates will shake hands with the President and Campus Vice President.
- Candidates will leave the stage and have their photo taken.
- Candidates will be directed back to their seats.
For the PRESENTATION OF CANDIDATES:
- Candidates will rise as a group.
- Dr. Ski will confer degrees;
- Candidates will move tassel from right to left.
- Candidates will sit.
7. The Recessional: The student marshals will lead the students in recessional, followed by the faculty and then the Trustees and platform guests. The ceremony should last approximately two hours. ALL CANDIDATES ARE EXPECTED TO REMAIN AND PARTICIPATE IN THE ENTIRE CEREMONY.
8. Additional Information:
A. Commencement programs will be on the Candidates’ seats.
B. Flowers and commencement mementos will be for sale outside of the Large Arena.
9. Degrees, Certificates, and Diplomas: Will be mailed approximately two weeks after final certification has been completed.
10. Graduation Pictures: Professional photography services will be available at the ceremony. Candidates will be professionally photographed as they receive their Diploma Cover. Candidates are under no obligation to purchase the photo proof that will be sent to them. A professional photographer will be available in the NorthEast Hall for formal portrait photos prior to the ceremony.
11. Graduation DVDs: The Commencement ceremony will be recorded and the DVDs are available to order at http://bookstore.hacc.edu/harrisburg/site_graduation.asp. Orders will also be taken by the bookstore before the ceremony and immediately following the ceremony in the lobby outside the Large Arena. The Graduation DVDs are $15 each (CASH only) if ordered at the ceremony. DVDs will be mailed approximately 3-4 weeks after Commencement. Questions can be directed to Julie Cullings by calling 717-736-4141.
12. Alumni Association: As Alumni of the College you are always welcome on the campus. An Alumni card may be purchased for $25 annually. It will entitle you to the use of designated facilities, such as; tennis courts, pool, and library. For more information, visit the Alumni table outside of the Large Arena.
- CONGRATULATIONS –