The Shumaker Public Safety Center is a Pennsylvania Department of Health Accredited Certification Training Institute. Learn about instructor classes available at HACC.
What classes are available?
The AHA Instructor Essentials Course is designed to prepare instructor candidates to teach AHA instructor-led and blended-learning course formats. The course educates participants on how to adequately use teaching materials, ensure that students meet learning objectives, offer student coaching skills, provide an objective skills performance evaluation, and follow AHA instructor and course policies. The course covers core content and discipline-specific content required to teach AHA courses. This course is a combination of self-directed online modules and a 4.5 hour in-classroom session.
To become an AHA Instructor, you must:
- Be accepted by an AHA Training Center before enrolling in a BLS instructor Essentials Course and have a completed Instructor Candidate Application on file with the accepting Training Center.
- Have current BLS provider status and be proficient in all the skills of that discipline. NOTE: While AHA BLS instructors also teach AHA Heartsaver courses, instructor candidates are not required to have a Heartsaver Course completion card in addition to a BLS provider card.
- Successfully complete the BLS instructor Essentials Course (both the online and classroom portions). Students must print the certificate of completion from the online portion for entry into the classroom portion.
- Successfully be monitored teaching their first course within six months of completing the discipline-specific classroom instructor course (Training Center Coordinators can require additional monitoring if needed.)
To be eligible for registration, please submit your application with your current provider card to Melissa Etzweiler or mail it to: HACC, EMS Education Unit, Attn: Melissa Etzweiler, One HACC Dr, Harrisburg, PA 17110.
Pennsylvania Department of Health EMS Instructor Certification Course - $300.00
To enroll, you must have:
- Proof you are at least 18 years old.
Current CPR certification or CPR Instructor certification.
- Current certification as an EMT or higher-level EMS provider.
- At least one year of experience in providing EMS as an EMT or higher-level EMS provider.
- Documentation of at least 16 hours of practical instructional time. Time must be for the EMS certification program within the last 2 years.
- Letter of recommendation from either the PA Department of Health Accredited Training Institute Director/Administrator or EMS Certification Coordinator.
What does the program cover?
You will develop the skills necessary to provide quality EMS instruction to the responders of tomorrow.
This class covers:
- Components of the learning process
- Methods of teaching (teaching theory and teaching skills)
- Use of a variety of media and materials
- Purpose and methods of evaluation
When is class?
Friday, April 27, 2018
6 - 10 p.m.
Saturday, April 28, 2018 & Sunday, April 29, 2018
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Tuesday, May 1, 2018 & Thursday, May 3, 2018
6 - 10 p.m.
You must be present for all sessions.
HACC's Shumaker Public Safety Center
One HACC Dr, Entrance 5
Harrisburg, PA 17110
How do I get more information and register?
Call the EMS Education Unit at 717-780-3255.