Social Sciences: Associate in Arts (AA) (5090)
If you’re interested in any social science subject such as economics, geography, history or political science, our Social Sciences Program can be your first step towards obtaining your bachelor’s degree. As you work to complete our program to receive your Associate in Arts (AA) in social science, we can help you choose a specialization and transfer your credits to a four-year school.
What can I do with this in the workforce?
After completing our program, you can transfer to a four-year school to study for your bachelor’s degree in:
- Political science
- Public administration
- Other social science fields
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
What is HACC’s program like?
Our innovative professors will provide you with a solid foundation in your area of interest. You will select your courses based on your chosen specialty. Once you complete our transfer program, you will be able to:
- Transfer into a social science discipline at a four-year institution
- Define the fundamental concepts, which include but are not limited to, terminology, institutions and issues associated with the disciplines studied by the student
- Understand the essential of methodologies, perspectives, approaches, processes and sources customarily used in the field(s) of study
- Describe the major issues and/or future challenges to the current problems and concerns discussed in the fields of study along with possible responses, solutions and/or remedies
- Describe how factors such as culture, institutions, environment, knowledge, beliefs and/or ideology have affected human activity and outcomes at the local, national and international levels
- Demonstrate an understanding of the technology and communication forms and methods used in discussing and disseminating knowledge and ideas in the specific fields of study
What classes will I take?
We encourage you to:
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Conveniently YOURS, our programs are designed to be flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities with no loss of credit. However, each individual college has its own unique program. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so you take the proper classes at HACC.
Our various transfer options are:
Where can I complete this program?
We offer the complete program at our Harrisburg, Gettysburg, Lancaster, Lebanon and York campuses, as well as through Virtual Learning.
Does HACC offer scholarships?
Yes! The HACC Foundation provides approximately 200 scholarships with unique eligibility requirements.
When can I apply?
You can apply anytime through our website for spring, summer and fall classes. When you apply online, please include the code 5090 that is specific to this program. This code will ensure you are applying to the correct program.
How can I learn more?
We want to be YOUR partner in education and social sciences. For more information on the Social Sciences program and your transfer options, please contact an admissions counselor or the interim department chair, Mark Nelson, to get your questions answered. We look forward to helping you fulfill your career goals.