Learn about our Diploma program and our Phlebotomy 100 - Phlebotomy for Health Care Professionals non-credit or two-credit course.
NOTE - the phlebotomy diploma program will accept its final clinical class for Fall 2017. Please see below for clinical applications.
What does a phlebotomy technician do?
A phlebotomy technician:
- works with patients to draw blood for laboratory tests
- communicates effectively
- is responsible for the proper identification, collection and acceptance of specimens for laboratory testing.
Where do phlebotomy technicians work?
Phlebotomists work mainly in:
- blood donor centers
- doctor’s offices
How much does the program cost?
Download Estimated Expenses (pdf).
What degree will I earn? Will I be eligible for credentials?
- Upon successful completion of the diploma program:
- HACC will award you a Phlebotomy Technician diploma.
- You are eligible to sit for the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) Phlebotomist Certification. Employers (hospitals) may require this certification.
- Upon successful completion of the Phlebotomy 100 (Phlebotomy for Healthcare Professionals) you will not be eligible to sit for the ASCP Phlebotomist Certification.
What are the required courses and what is the suggested schedule? How long does the program take to complete? Where are the clinical classes held?
- Phlebotomy Technician Diploma Program
- Download Course requirements/suggested schedule (pdf).
- Clinicals (PBT courses) are completed in two semesters.
- Hospital clinicals (PBT 102) are full-time days for three weeks.
- HACC offers the complete program at the Gettysburg, Harrisburg, Lancaster, Lebanon and York Campuses.
- Phlebotomy 100 (Phlebotomy for Healthcare Professionals)
- You can take it as a two-credit course or as a non-credit course
- The course will help you refresh old skills and gain new ones.
- It is a 30-hour course offered in blended format.
- This course DOES NOT qualify you to sit for the phlebotomy certification exam.
- It is mostly taken by nurse aides, medical assistants, RNs, LPNs, EMTs and paramedics.
- You can take the course at the Harrisburg and Lancaster campuses fall and spring - late start.
What are the program clinical admission criteria and how do I apply for clinicals?
Phlebotomy Technician Program - program has been inactivated - final three clinical applications are below. APPLY NOW!
- Admission to HACC does not guarantee admission to the clinical component of the program. You begin as a pre-clinical student and work closely with your advisor to prepare to apply to the clinical/core component.
- Download Admission Criteria, Point System, Essential Qualifications and Application (pdf, rev 8/5/14).
- You are required to meet with a phlebotomy advisor and complete the following documents at that time:
- Phlebotomy Essential Qualifications - ensure that it is initialed and signed.
- Phlebotomy Checksheet - must include completed contact information and signatures.
- Apply online using SurveyMonkey for the Summer 2017 semester at the Gettysburg Campus (LINK TO APPLICATION). The deadline to apply is January 1. This will be a blended, online course.
- Apply online using SurveyMonkey for the Summer 2017 semester at the Lebanon Campus (LINK TO APPLICATION). The deadline to apply is January 1. This will be a blended, online course.
- Apply online using SurveyMonkey for the Fall 2017 semester at the Harrisburg Campus (LINK TO APPLICATION). The deadline to apply is May 1. This will be a blended, online course.
- Phlebotomy 100 (PBT 100 - Phlebotomy for healthcare professionals)
- To register for PBT 100 - 2-Credit Course:
- You must be eligible for English 101 and have a health careers major code.
- Use myHACC to register like you would for any other class.
Can I advance my education in this field?
- This (diploma program) leads directly to an occupation.
- Students can pursue further education in another health career program at HACC.
How can I get more information?
Who can I contact for more information?
Phlebotomy Program Office
HACC Harrisburg Campus
Select Medical Health Education Building, Room 114
One HACC Drive
Harrisburg, PA 17110