Do you often wonder about why things are as they are or what it means to exist? Our Philosophy Program can be your path to a rewarding, thought-provoking career. After completing our program and receiving your Associate in Arts (AA), we can help you define your philosophy career goals and transfer your credits to a four-year school.
What can I do with this in the workforce?
Our Philosophy program will give you a solid foundation that you can use for various careers, including:
With a philosophy degree, you may also succeed in executive or management positions for businesses, nonprofit organizations or governmental institutions. Our program is ideal for students who:
• Comprehend information rapidly
• Have interest in producing effective solutions to persistent and challenging societal problems
• Enjoy questioning the world around themselves
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
• Average hourly wages
• Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
• Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
• Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
• Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
What is HACC’s program like?
During your studies at HACC, you will examine various belief systems to expand and support of your own system of ideas and values. This program will help you develop critical thinking, clear and precise writing, as well as more careful reading through investigating the major branches of philosophical inquiry. Our program covers:
• The history of philosophy and culture
• Ethics and value theory
• Logic, critical thinking and the philosophy of science
• Theories of nature and reality
• The foundations of knowledge
As a philosophy student, you will:
• Be able to transfer into four-year colleges and universities to earn a Bachelor of Arts in philosophy
• Sharpen communication, writing and research skills needed for framing hypotheses, analyzing a variety of qualitative and quantitative data and for putting complex problems into manageable forms
• Exemplify effective decision-making and leadership skills by examining philosophies of both Western and Eastern cultures and cultivating a sensitivity to other world view.
What classes will I take?
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Our program gives you the flexibility and core courses to transfer in to a bachelor’s degree program at a four-year school with no loss of credit. However, your transfer school must participate in Pennsylvania’s statewide college credit transfer system and each individual college has its own unique program. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so you can take the proper classes at HACC.
Our program also simultaneously satisfies some of the transfer requirements you may need for a religious studies or an interdisciplinary humanities program.
You can choose from the following transfer options:
|Elizabethtown College:||Philosophy into Philosophy (pdf)
|Millersville University of PA:||Philosophy into Philosophy (pdf)
Where can I complete this program?
You can complete the entire program at our Gettysburg, Harrisburg, Lancaster, and York campuses, as well as through Virtual Learning. Conveniently YOURS, you can also complete the program at the Lebanon Campus by taking courses through Virtual Learning.
Does HACC offer scholarships?
Yes! There are more than 200 scholarships available through the HACC Foundation. You can review the eligibility requirements and submit your applications for scholarships online at our website.
When can I apply?
You can apply anytime for our spring, summer and fall classes. Please visit our website and submit your application using the Philosophy program code 2050. By using the code, you can be sure you are applying to the correct program.
How can I learn more?
We are here to help you develop YOUR skills around the subjects that interest you. We encourage you to contact Brenda Eppley at email@example.com, interim department chair, or an admissions counselor to request more information about our program and transfer options.