General Studies (New - Fall 2018): Associate in Applied Science (AAS) (7606)
You may have a specific career goal that requires a broad set of skills in which specifec-designed programs of study are not available in regular programs, or you are undecided on your career path. If that describes you, then perhaps our General Studies Associates in Applied Science (AAS) program is for you!
Our admissions counselors are eager to help you learn more about our General Studies program.
What can I do with this in the workforce?
Our General Studies program is designed to offer a level of flexibility that is not available in other programs, but does require some careful planning to ensure that your career needs are met.
In this program you will gain a foundation in knowledge and skills within seven majors areas of general education:
- Oral and Written Communication
- Quantitative,, Computer, Information and Technology Literacy
- Critical Thinking
- Global Awareness
Students select courses in the Humanities and Arts, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Mathematics, Natural and Physical Sciences, Computer Literacy, and Wellness. T round out your curriculum, you are then able to select 30-credits of coursework tailored to address your career needs and interests. Program electives are selected from courses 100-level or above.
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
What is HACC’s program like?
Our professors understand that you may not yet know the direction you want to go with your education. We designed our General Studies program to give you a well-rounded foundation that will help you find your passion. It is important that you select your courses in consultation with your advisor to make sure that courses selected meet your career goals. It is also important that you enroll in this program as soon as you can or, at least, after you have completed the first fifteen credits of study. No “0” level courses are applicable for graduation.
After completing our program and receiving your associate degree, you will know how to:
- Select and apply mathematical tools to draw conclusions from quantitative data
- Write appropriately for audience, purpose and genre; demonstrate appropriate content, organization, syntax and style; and acknowledge the use of information sources according to convention
- Generate a new idea or artifact by combining, changing or reapplying existing ideas or products
- Demonstrate the ability to find, evaluate, organize and use information effectively and ethically
- Competently construct and effectively present orally, information designed to increase knowledge, to foster understanding or to promote change in the listeners' attitudes, values, beliefs or behaviors
- Properly utilize technology to complete an assigned task
- Investigate issues related to the growing global interdependence of diverse societies
What classes can I take?
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
After graduating from our two-year General Studies program, you can choose to enter the workforce or transfer your courses to another school.
Affordably YOURS, our programs are flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities with no loss of credit. However, each individual college has their own unique program. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so you can take the proper classes at HACC.
Browse the list below to find the transfer options for students in the General Studies program:
|Mansfield University of PA:||Nutrition and Dietetics (pdf)
|Penn State Harrisburg:||American Studies (pdf)
|Penn State Harrisburg:||Mathematics Secondary Education Certification (pdf)
|Penn State Harrisburg:||English Secondary Education Certification (pdf)
|Penn State Harrisburg:||Social Studies Secondary Education Certification (pdf)
|Penn State Harrisburg:||Science (pdf)
|Penn State Harrisburg:||Human Development & Family Studies (pdf)
|Penn State Harrisburg:||Information Sciences & Technology (pdf)
|Penn State Harrisburg:||Security & Risk Analysis (pdf)
|Penn State Mont Alto:||Program to Program Agreements (pdf)
|Shippensburg University of PA:||Communications into Human Communication Studies or Communications/Journalism (pdf)
|Slippery Rock University of PA:||Health and Physical Education Teaching Certification (pdf)
|Slippery Rock University of PA:||English Secondary Education Certification (pdf)
|Slippery Rock University of PA:||History Secondary Education Certfication (pdf)
|Slippery Rock University of PA:||Social Work (pdf)
Where can I complete this program?
You can apply for the General Studies program anytime by submitting your application on our website. We offer classes in the spring, summer and fall. Please include the program code 7606, which is unique to General Studies with your application. This code will ensure you apply for the correct program.
How can I learn more?
Whether you want to enter the workforce after receiving your associate degree or transfer to a specific program at a four-year school, HACC’s General Studies program can help you begin reaching your goals. Our admission counselors can help you learn more about the program requirements, or you can request more information before enrolling. Start YOUR career with HACC today.