Criminal Justice (PASSHE): Associate in Arts (AA) (6051)
Do you have an interest in criminal justice, police work or law enforcement support services? If so, a career in criminal justice may be the right choice for you. HACC’s Criminal Justice Program can put you on the path to a rewarding position in the field. This degree meets the curricular needs of students interested in transferring to one of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) schools so you will have a smooth transition from HACC. Our admissions counselors and department chair LaShana Stokes can provide you the steps to enroll in to our two-year Criminal Justice program. Apply today!
What can I do with this in the workforce?
HACC’s Criminal Justice transfer degree program can put you on the path to a career in:
- Forensic science correctional rehabilitation
- Juvenile and adult probation and parole
- Private security and investigations law enforcement
- Military police
After graduating from our program and pursuing your bachelor’s degree at another school, you may work in municipal, state, federal or private agencies as a:
- Forensic scientist
- Prosecuting attorney
- Crime-lab expert
- Crime-scene technician
- Patrol officer
- Criminal investigator
- Probation and parole officer
- Drug agent
- Security manager
- Private investigator
- Private criminal or civil attorney
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
What is HACC’s program like?
Our experienced professors will prepare you to:
- Demonstrate an awareness of professional ethics including ethical and legal entrance requirements to the criminal justice
- Translate observations into writing
- Use technology as a form, or method, to conduct research
- Describe components of the criminal justice system including corrections, courts, law enforcement and the private sector
- Describe the major theoretical explanations of crime and delinquency
- Examine diversity issues as they impact criminal justice
- Demonstrate an awareness of the dynamics of organizational behavior
- Manage and build teams
- Analyze problems and develop solutions
To enroll in this program, you may need to submit Act 33 Child Abuse and/or Act 34 Pennsylvania State Police Criminal background checks.
What classes will I take?
We encourage you to:
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Affordably YOURS, our two-year degree program is a flexible transfer program so you can transfer to a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities with no loss of credit. If your intended transfer school participates in Pennsylvania’s statewide college-credit transfer system, you will be able to begin your third year as a junior. Our programs also transfer well to schools outside of the statewide system. However, each individual college has its own unique program.
We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so you can take the proper classes at HACC.
Our transfer options for Criminal Justice students include:
|California University of Pennsylvania:||Criminal Justice into Justice Studies PASSHE Statewide Articulation Agreement (pdf)
|Carlow College Online & Campus:||Criminal Justice PASSHE Statewide Articulation Agreement (pdf)
|Franklin University Online:||Franklin University Bachelor Degrees (ONLINE) (pdf)
|Lincoln University:||Criminal Justice PASSHE Statewide Articulation Agreement (pdf)
|Lock Haven University of PA:||Criminal Justice PASSHE Statewide Articulation Agreement (pdf)
|Saint Francis University:||Criminal Justice PASSHE Statewide Articulation Agreement (pdf)
Where can I complete this program?
You can complete the entire Criminal Justice (PASSHE) program at the Gettysburg, Harrisburg, Lancaster and York campuses.
Does HACC offer scholarships?
Yes! We have approximately 200 scholarships available thanks to the HACC Foundation. The scholarships have differing eligibility requirements. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details.
When can I apply?
We offer classes in spring, summer and fall. You can enroll in to the College anytime by submitting your application on our website. When you submit your application, please be sure to include the specific program code 6051. This code will ensure you apply for the correct Criminal Justice program.
How can I learn more?
We are committed to YOUR success. For more information, please contact an admissions counselor or the interim department chair, Mark Nelson. We look forward to helping you enroll in our program and welcoming you to the HACC family.