General Studies: Associate in Arts (AA) (7660)
ATTENTION: This program has been inactivated by the department for Fall 2018 and will no longer be available for new student enrollments. Interested new students should consider reviewing the General Studies AAS degree (major code #7606) - new Fall 2018.
You may have a specific career goal that requires a broad set of skills, or maybe you are interested in beginning your education with a two-year program before transferring to a four-year school. Either way, HACC’s General Studies Program can give you the foundation you need to enter the workforce or pursue a bachelor’s degree. Our program provides you the option to transfer your credits to another school to continue your education.
Our admissions counselors are eager to help you learn more about our General Studies program.
What can I do with this in the workforce?
Our General Studies program is flexible and allows you to choose classes based on your career or transfer goals. Many entry-level careers require a broad set of skills before you complete on-the-job training. Upon receiving your degree at HACC, you will have received foundational knowledge and skills in six major areas of general education: Oral and written communication.
- Quantitative reasoning
- Information literacy
- Technology literacy
- Critical thinking
- Any other selected coursework that applies to your career goals
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
What is HACC’s program like?
Our professors understand that you may not yet know the direction you want to go with your education. We designed our General Studies program to give you a well-rounded foundation that will help you find your passion. By enrolling in our program, you’ll complete courses in humanities and arts, social and behavioral sciences, mathematics, natural and physical sciences, diversity and physical education and wellness. You also will receive thorough training in written and oral communication.
You also may choose electives and diversify your classes. You can choose 30 credits of electives and select course numbers 100 or above. No “0” level courses are applicable for graduation.
Our counseling staff will help you select your courses when you enroll in our General Studies program. If you decide to transfer to a four-year school or apply to a more specific program at HACC, we’ll ensure you will work with a faculty member who is familiar with your specific field of study.
After completing our program and receiving your associate degree, you will know how to:
- Select and apply mathematical tools to draw conclusions from quantitative data
- Write appropriately for audience, purpose and genre; demonstrate appropriate content, organization, syntax and style; and acknowledge the use of information sources according to convention
- Generate a new idea or artifact by combining, changing or reapplying existing ideas or products
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate, create and collaborate effectively using technologies in multiple modalities
- Competently construct and effectively present orally, information designed to increase knowledge, to foster understanding or to promote change in the listeners' attitudes, values, beliefs or behaviors
- Properly utilize technology to complete an assigned task
What classes can I take?
We encourage you to:
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
After graduating from our two-year General Studies program, you can choose to enter the workforce or transfer your courses to another school.
Affordably YOURS, our programs are flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities with no loss of credit. However, each individual college has their own unique program. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so you can take the proper classes at HACC.
Browse the list below to find the transfer options for students in the General Studies program:
|Pennsylvania College of Art & Design:
Where can I complete this program?
You can complete the full General Studies program at any one of our five campuses or through Virtual Learning.
Does HACC offer scholarships?
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, there are more than 200 scholarships available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships to learn how to apply.
When can I apply?
You can apply for the General Studies program anytime by submitting your application on our website. We offer classes in the spring, summer and fall. Please include the program code 7660, which is unique to General Studies with your application. This code will ensure you apply for the correct program.
How can I learn more?
Whether you want to enter the workforce after receiving your associate degree or transfer to a specific program at a four-year school, HACC’s General Studies program can help you begin reaching your goals. Our admission counselors can help you learn more about the program requirements, or you can request more information before enrolling. Start YOUR career with HACC today.