Chemistry: Transfer Associate (3020)
Are you interested in understanding the science behind explosions, or do you want to know about the molecule that makes a muscle move? Or, perhaps you want to know how to make elephant toothpaste. Our associate degree in chemistry will prepare you for careers in nanotechnology, pharmaceuticals, electronics, fossil and bio fuels, nuclear and solar energy, environmental science, hazardous waste management, rocket science and many other specialized areas.
What can I do with this in the workforce?
As you complete your two-year degree, you may want to continue your education at a four-year school and obtain a bachelor’s degree in:
- Chemical engineering
- Environmental science
- Molecular life science
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in-demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
What is HACC’s program like?
The field of chemistry typically interests students who:
- Are fascinated by how to combine substances to make new things
- Find passion in the sciences and enjoy the scientific process
- Have strong math skills and enjoy applying the skills when working with data
- Seek creative answers to challenging questions
Our experienced instructors will give you the foundation you need to prepare for a bachelor’s degree in chemistry, teaching, veterinary science or other science areas.
As you complete our program, you will be able to:
- Transfer to, with the skills required for success in, a baccalaureate degree program in chemistry
- Discuss and apply scientific principles and concepts
- Demonstrate an appreciation of scientific accomplishments and how they affect technology, politics and society
- Apply the scientific method to solve scientific problems
- Demonstrate computer literacy in data manipulation and analysis
- Perform technician work in a typical laboratory while following appropriate safety procedures
- Demonstrate communication of results both orally and through written reports
- Appreciate accomplishments in the arts and sciences
What classes will I take?
We encourage you to:
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
You can also view the advising check sheets for the specialty areas that interest you:
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Conveniently YOURS, our program is designed so you can transfer to a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities with no loss of credit. If your intended transfer school participates in Pennsylvania’s statewide college credit transfer system, you will be able to begin there at the junior level.
Our programs also transfer well to schools outside of the statewide transfer system. However, each individual college has its own unique program. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the college’s program requirements so you can take the proper classes at HACC.
|Millersville University of PA:
Where can I complete this program?
Conveniently YOURS, you can complete the entire program at our Harrisburg and Lancaster campuses.
Does HACC offer scholarships?
Yes! You can apply for scholarships to earn money towards your degree. We have approximately 200 scholarships available through the HACC Foundation — visit hacc.edu/Scholarships to learn how to apply.
When can I apply?
We offer classes in the spring, summer and fall, and you can apply anytime by visiting our website and submitting your application. When you do, please include the program code 3020 to designate the correct program.
How can I learn more?
With innovative chemistry instructors, convenient class schedules and plenty of transfer opportunities, HACC can provide the solid foundation you need to take your next step in the world of science. For additional information about our Chemistry Program or transfer opportunities, please contact an admissions counselor or our department chair Rae Dennis.