Culinary Arts: Career Associate (1581)
If you are passionate about transforming ingredients into delicious dishes and you work well under pressure, the culinary arts field may be the perfect path for you. If your ideal career is a fast-paced one where you think and create on your feet, consider enrolling in our Culinary Arts Program.
This Associate in Arts (AA) degree is accredited by the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation (ACEF) and graduates with an American Culinary Federation (ACF) membership are awarded a Certificate Culinarian (CC).
What can I do with this in the workforce?
Since the program is designed to lead you directly to employment, you’ll be ready to find employment as a chef, sous chef or food production supervisor in:
- Catering companies
- Food service contract companies
In addition to a passion for cooking, you should also be a:
- Creative thinker and problem-solver
- Person who is able to work well under pressure
- Natural team leader who can encourage others
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- What occupations are in demand within the region you select
- The number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- The anticipated number of job openings available — just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
What is HACC’s program like?
Innovatively YOURS, our Culinary Arts Program provides hands-on learning opportunities in our on-campus labs and off-campus commercial restaurant, located in downtown Harrisburg. You’ll learn food preparation, production and service — the foundation you need to turn your passion into a career.
As you complete this program, you will learn how to:
- Apply industry sanitation and safety procedures
- Demonstrate foundational cooking techniques and knife skills
- Compose a complete meal including culinary and bakery items using standardized recipes
- Exhibit management skills in professionalism, employee relations, food and beverage service, menu design, food purchasing, inventory and cost control
- Create working recipes based on developed flavor profiles, food costs and nutritional values
- Demonstrate leadership and industry experience needed to be successful in a food and beverage operation
Watch this video for a glimpse into our culinary programs.
What classes will I take?
We encourage you to:
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
This program is designed to lead directly to employment. Though, if you wish to pursue a bachelor’s degree at a four-year school, we can help you transfer your credits.
Our two-year degree programs are designed to be flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities with no loss of credit. However, each individual college has its own unique program. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so you can take the proper classes at HACC.
Your transfer options include:
Where can I complete this program?
We offer the complete program at our Harrisburg Campus. While we hold all of our culinary arts classes in the daytime, we also offer some evening classes on a rotating basis.
Does HACC offer scholarships?
Yes! Thanks to the approximately 200 scholarships available through the HACC Foundation, you have the opportunity to earn money toward your HACC education. Eligibility requirements vary for each. For more information, including how to apply, please visit hacc.edu/scholarships.
When can I apply?
We hold classes in the spring, summer and fall, and you can apply anytime by visiting our website. When you submit your application, please include program code 1581, which will ensure you apply for the correct program.
How can I learn more?
With HACC, your passion can become YOUR culinary arts career. From hands-on learning and real-world experience, we offer innovative instruction that will help you succeed on your career path.