Architectural Technology: Diploma (0650)
Whether you are still in high school or a professional looking for a career change, our online Architectural Technology diploma can provide you with the skills you need to get started in a rewarding career. If you are an analytical person and a visual thinker who is interested in the technical aspects of buildings, and you enjoy working with computers and construction blueprints, read more to learn how we can help you meet your goals!
What can I do with this in the workforce?
Completing the Architectural Technology diploma is designed to prepare you to enter the workforce or continue your education. After graduating from our online program, you’ll be prepared to:
- Continue your education and complete a certificate or associate degree in architectural technology at HACC to then be prepared for employment in architectural firms.
- Earn an associate degree in architecture at HACC and transfer credits to complete a bachelor’s degree.
- Complete HACC’s associate degree in building construction management online and be prepared for managing the construction of buildings and jobs in estimating, scheduling and other construction management activities.
- Enter the workforce as an entry-level computer-aided-drafting (CAD)/Building Information Modeling (BIM) operator who prepares construction documents for a wide variety of building types.
- Use the basic functions of CAD and BIM software systems.
Your employment opportunities may be found in:
- Architectural firms
- Design-build and construction companies
- Interior design firms
You’re most likely to succeed in this field if you:
- Have strong computer skills
- Enjoy drawing and can visualize how small parts combine to form a larger structure
- Can work independently and function well under pressure
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Additionally, federal regulations require that the College disclose specific gainful employment information about our program. Find information on completion rates and placement, program costs and median loan debt.
Begin exploring your options now!
What is HACC’s program like?
Our program is designed for the working professional or high school student.
High school students enrolled in this fully online program can earn 18 college credits while still in high school. This is more than a semester of college-level work. High school students are required to take two classes in January of their junior year and two classes each in August and January of their senior year. Prerequisites and placement testing are not required to get started.
Regardless if you are the working professional or high school student, your coursework explores:
- Construction documents
- Materials and methods of construction
- Building codes
- Computer-aided-drafting (CAD) and Building Information Modeling (BIM) software
- Sustainability and how it is applied in the construction and design of buildings
- Development of architectural presentation drawings
Upon completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Interpret construction drawings
- Describe construction materials and systems, as well as methods used in architectural construction
- Explain the application of building codes in the design and construction process
- Discuss the application of sustainability principles in relation to building construction and design
- Use a computer in an architectural office or related setting
What classes will I take?
We encourage you to:
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
All of your credits will count toward our Architecture, Architectural Technology or Building Construction Management programs – allowing you to continue your education and complete your associate degree. From there, credits earned for your associate degree will transfer to a four-year college or university.
Where can I complete this program?
For your convenience, the entire program is available online through Virtual Learning.
Does HACC offer scholarships?
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, there are approximately 200 scholarships available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details and deadlines.
When can I apply?
You can complete spring, summer and fall classes at HACC. Submit your application anytime by visiting our website. When you submit your application, make sure to include the specific program code (0650). By using this code, you will ensure you are applying for the correct program.
How can I learn more?
Technically YOURS, we are passionate about providing a high quality education and an opportunity for you to pursue your goals. Please do not hesitate to contact an admissions counselor or our department chair Kelley Engle to request more information.