Nurse Aide Certificate: Non-Credit (0007)
Nurse aides are compassionate individuals who want to help those in need. At HACC, Central Pennsylvania’s Community College, we will help you meet your career goal in this 120-hour program. Our program is approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
What can I do with this in the workforce?
With a certificate, you will be able to complete basic tasks required to care for patients in:
- Long term care facilities
- Other healthcare facilities
- Rehabilitation centers
Under the supervision of a nurse, you may:
- Assist clients with bathing, dressing, feeding, toileting
- Provide care and assist clients who cannot care for themselves
- Measure and record vital signs
- Care for clients with catheters
- Provide range of motion exercises
- Transport clients in wheelchairs
- Make beds
- Provide infection control and safety awareness
- Provide post-mortem care
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
What is HACC’s program like?
Our program is intense but satisfying. You can complete the program in 17 days or up to 29 evenings depending on which class you choose.
Attendance during the first 24 class hours is mandatory or you will be dismissed immediately from the program. After the first 24 class hours, missed time must be made up. Also, you must complete the full 120 hours and score at least a 75 percent on each written exam to receive the certificate of completion. The recommended study time is 30 minutes for every hour of class. You should expect to study for three-and-a-half hours after seven hours of class.
We design the program to prepare you to take the Pennsylvania State Certification Exam for Nurse Aides and the National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP) exam (administered by Pearson Vue). You must be at least 16 years old to take this exam.
Additionally, the following are requirements of you prior to the start of class and are at your own expense:
- Physical examination
- ACT 14: Request for Criminal Record Check – Pennsylvania State Police
- Flu immunization if enrolled in a class between October and March
- Two-Step PPD (Tuberculin) Test
- FBI clearances (required if you are not a resident of Pa. for the past two consecutive years or have been convicted of an offense outside of Pa.)
The nurse aide health examination form must be completed.
What classes will I take?
We encourage you to:
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Upon completing your certificate, you can continue your education and earn an associate degree at HACC! Our healthcare programs, among others, may be of interest.
When you complete your associate degree, you can transfer HACC credits to a four-year school.
Where can I complete this program?
We offer on-site training at many locations throughout Pennsylvania.
- Download the central listing for Adams, Cumberland, Dauphin and York counties (pdf).
- Download the north listing for Clinton, Lycoming, Mifflin, Montour, Northumberland and Perry counties (pdf).
- Download the south central listing for Lancaster and Lebanon counties (pdf).
Does HACC offer scholarships?
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, scholarships are available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details and deadlines.
When can I apply?
Please view the schedules listed under “Where can I complete this program?” to determine when it is best to apply and select the class in which you have interest. Please have a second choice in case your first choice is full. You also may call 717-780-2414 to register. Please have your Visa or MasterCard ready.
If you have not had a physical exam, two-step PPD (Tuberculin) test and criminal history background check in the past year, these are the recommended timelines to complete the steps before your nurse aide class begins:
- Four weeks prior, please request a Pennsylvania State Police background check.
- Three weeks prior, please have your physical performed.
- Three weeks prior, please have your first PPD test administered and read.
- One week prior, please have your second PPD test administered and read.
How can I learn more?
We are passionate about providing a high-quality education and an opportunity for you to pursue your goals. Please contact the nurse aide training office at 717-221-1352 or 800-222-4222 (ext. 211352) if you have any questions.