Paying For School

Checklist for Veterans

Getting Started

  • Contact HACC's Miltiary and Veteran Affairs Office (MVAO) to set up an appointment to obtain information about VA chapter eligibility.  (For your convenience, you may schedule your MVAO appointment on the same day as your placement test.)  Hours vary based on semester and campus. 

1.Apply for Benefits:

  • Go to www.gibill.va.gov or http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp apply
    • Chapter 30, 33, 1606 & 1607 - VA form 22-1990
    • Chapter 33 Dependent - VA Form 22-1990E
    • Chapter 35 - VA Form 22-5490
  • Electronically attach DD-214 or NOBE to application when applying online
  • Electronically attach any additional entitlement you may be eligible for (IE: Kicker, NOBE, College Fund)

2.  Print out the submitted application along with a copy of your DD-214 or NOBE and bring to your VA briefing appointment

3.  Meet with academic advisor and register for classes with HACC

4.  Submit Yellow Sheet on myHACC - Submit EVERY semester or when you ADD a class

Other Reminders

  • Federal Tuition Assistance FTA (Army National Guard and All Reserve forces)
    • Done through students' unit of assignment each semester
    • Approval paperwork brought to HACC's Student Accounts or MVAO to place a financial hold on account.  HACC will bill for the tuition and fees, if approved.
  • Educational Assistance Program EAP (National Guard)
    • Done through students' unit of assignment, completed each academic year.  (June no later than June 30 each year)
    • Contact HACC's MVAO EVERY semester to confirm EAP status and to place a financial hold on account
  • Once you have received your certificate of eligibility from the VA, you MUST bring a copy into our office to be kept on file.

**Don't forget to submit a YELLOW SHEET VERY semester after you register for classes**

Click for a printer friendly version of the checklist (pdf)