Receiving your aid
Learn more about receiving your financial aid.
When will I find out how much financial aid I will be receiving?
The government awards financial aid on a rolling basis. It depends on when:
- You filed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- The government considers your file complete
How will I find out the financial aid I received?
HACC will mail you an award letter. Your award letter will show the type and amount of financial aid you qualified for at HACC.
When does HACC mail out award letters?
HACC mails out award letters for the upcoming year at certain times.
- Newly-admitted students —at
the end of April
- Other students —late June. HACC mails award letters after we post grades and check academic progress.
Do not make any changes to your FAFSA/SAR after you receive your award letter from HACC. If you find you made an error, contact the Financial Aid Office at the campus you attend.
How will I find out if the government has processed my FASFA?
You may receive an e-mail from a federal processor. This e-mail will indicate the date the government processed your FAFSA. You will receive this e-mail if you did one of the following:
- Completed the FAFSA online
- Provided an e-mail address on the paper FAFSA form
What is a Student Aid Report (SAR)?
The e-mail containing your processing date will also include your Student Aid Report (SAR). The SAR is an outline of the information you provided on your FAFSA.
You need to:
- Check the SAR to ensure you did not make any mistakes on the application.
- Make corrections if necessary.
The SAR will notify you if they select you for verification. They will also contact you about other outstanding issues.
Each year the government chooses about 50 percent of students for verification. If you are selected for verification, the government will review the data on your financial aid application. HACC also reserves the right to select students who have discrepancies on the FAFSA application.
How can I lessen my chances of the government selecting me for verification?
You must use data from your tax return to lessen your chances. Use this
information to fill out your FASFA. This data is available 10 to 14 days after
you electronically file your federal income taxes.
How will I know if I have been selected for verification?
HACC will contact you. We will contact you if:
- We or the government select you for verification.
- There are discrepancies on
your aid application.
The notification will include information on the documents that you
and/or your parents must submit.
When will HACC disburse my funds?
HACC cannot disburse your aid funds until:
- You submit all requested documents.
- HACC confirms the accuracy of your information.
What do I need to submit if I have been selected for the verification process?
If you are selected for verification and you filed taxes, you must:
- Contact the IRS directly to request a tax transcript. Copies of your tax returns are not acceptable.
- Keep copies of all W-2's.
- Submit all requested documentation. HACC may ask you to submit proof of separation/divorce, marriage licenses, Social Security cards, birth certificates, proof if you are a non-citizen, DD214's or other legal documentation.
Do not submit any documents unless we request them.
How long is the verification process?This process can take several weeks. Submit the requested information quickly. Ensure you properly complete the requested documents.