Students Occupationally and Academically Ready (SOAR) programs prepare high school students for college and future careers. SOAR is a state-approved Career &Technical Education program.
SOAR students can earn three to 12 articulated credits while in high school or at a Career and Technical Center (CTC). You can apply these credits to a college degree, diploma or certificate program.
We base SOAR programs on high-priority occupations.
Why should I enroll in a SOAR program?
A SOAR program offers many benefits. You will:
- Get a head start and complete your college requirements sooner.
- Earn an industry-recognized certification.
- Be better prepared to start your career or post-secondary education.
- Save money on future tuition costs —you will be earning credits while in high school or CTC.
- Earn credits that can transfer statewide. There are 40 post-secondary institutions accepting SOAR program credits.
How can I earn free credits?
- Earn a high school diploma.
- Achieve a minimum 2.5 GPA in your Career and Technical Education program (shop).
- Achieve competent or advanced level on the NOCTI.
- Achieve proficiency on tasks in the approved task list.
- Submit proof that you have met the requirements for the SOAR credit. You can submit proof to HACC's Office of College Pathways.
What does articulation mean?
Articulation is an agreement between two schools. Technical high schools and high schools with Career and Technical programs work with colleges and post-secondary schools. They compare the curriculum and tasks at the high school level. When the high school curriculum matches introductory college courses, the college accepts the credits. It is similar to advanced placement.
Where can I get more information about the SOAR program?
- View more information online.
- Download the Parent Fact Sheet (pdf).
- Download the Career and Technical Education in Pennsylvania (CTE) booklet (pdf).
- View PA-approved CIP codes.
- Visit the Pennsylvania Career Zone.
- Access the Career Education &Work (CEW) Standards Toolkit.
- View SOAR programs offered at HACC (Collegetransfer.net).
- Download the SOAR Documentation Packet Information (pdf).
- View a list of institutions accepting SOAR credits.
- View types of transfer credits.
- Visit National Occupational Competency Testing Institute (NOCTI).
- Download a CTE Glossary of Terms (pdf).
Who can I contact for more information?
For more information, please contact:
Perkins Programs of Study Outreach Manager