EFDA Information Letter (pdf) rev 10/23/12
This certificate of completion program is open to any licensed dental hygienist or certified dental assistant. The program meets the hour requirements established by the Pennsylvania State Board of Dentistry and prepares you to take the written EFDA Examination that has been approved by the State Board of Dentistry and achieve minimal competence for placing and finishing both amalgam and composite resins on patients. Upon completion of the program, you will be eligible to apply to the State Board of Dentistry to sit for the examination. Following passage of the examination, you will then apply for certification as an expanded functions dental auxiliary.
The program consists of two courses. The first is a 4 credit course (DA- 252), 15 weeks, Monday and Tuesday evenings from 6:30 – 9:30 pm. This course is offered at the Harrisburg campus only during the fall semester. This course is a lecture and lab session.
The second part of the program requires clinical hours in the EFDA clinics as well as in the dental practice of the assistant. A contract is signed with the college to provide the necessary clinical experience for reinforcing the learned skills and providing clinical evaluation. This is a 2 credit course (DA 253) requiring 15 weeks of approximately 8 hours of clinical externship per week. Monday and Wednesday evenings are required EFDA clinics from 6:30 – 9:00 pm. This course begins with the start of the spring semester and concludes when the documented hours are completed. Hygienists will register the second semester for DH 252 for clinical hours in the EFDA clinic only. Students are required to complete a portfolio of their work including photos of their work.
Current costs include tuition and course fees for DA 252 and DA 253. In addition you will be asked to purchase 3 books, a typodont with approximately 50 prepared teeth, and a composite cassette set-up from the bookstore for approximately $625.00. The clinic course also requires some personal clinical supplies to be purchased as well. Students are also charged approximately $25.00 each semester for liability coverage. Enrollment is limited to 15 students for the complete program.
*Information on taking the National Certification Examination for Dental Assistants necessary for acceptance into the program can be found at www.danb.org or by calling 1-800-FOR-DANB.
For more information, contact Donna Traaen at (717) 221-1733.
APPLICATION TO HACC:
- Anyone who has not previously applied to the college must submit an admission application with the application fee ($35).
- Those who have taken college credits at HACC over 5 years ago need only reapply. The application fee is waived.
- Those who have taken college credits at the College within five years need only register.
PROVIDE NECESSARY DOCUMENTATION:
- HEALTH PROVIDER CPR before the initiation of DA 253, clinical externship
- A copy of your current Certification in Dental Assisting (CDA)
- A copy of your current PA Dental Hygiene Licensure
- Proof of Hepatitis B vaccination or recent titre
- Pennsylvania State Police Criminal History Request Form (SP-164)