spacer Apply Now!!
Spacer HACC Home Page

Financial Aid Refunds and Repayments

Refunds resulting from the Disbursement of Financial Aid

Financial Aid disburses about four weeks after  classes begin. Loans disburse twice in the term. The first disbursement is about 30 days after students begin their sixth credit. The second disbursement is after the mid-point of the term. Once financial aid disburses it is applied toward the students' institutional charges. Any excess funds are refunded to students. Click here for refund examples.

HACC has partnered with Higher One to process all refunds. Through Higher One, students can have their refund sent to an existing bank account or they can use Higher One as their bank. Click here for a schedule of refunds.

Tuition Refund Policy
HACC has a tuition refund policy that stipulates the amount of tuition and fees that are refunded to a student who withdraws from all classes during a term. The Registrar's Office determines specific refund dates each term and publishes them on their website . The chart shows the amount of tuition and fees returned to a student, depending upon when the student withdraws. Students must immediately notify the Registrar's Office that they are withdrawing by following specific withdrawal procedures posted by the Office of the Registrar.

Return To Title IV (Federal) Financial Aid

The federal government mandates that students who withdraw from all classes may only keep the financial aid they have "earned" up to the time of withdrawal. Title IV funds that have been disbursed in excess of the earned amount must be returned by HACC to the federal government. Thus the student could owe aid funds to HACC.

The unearned amount (total aid disbursed minus the earned amount) must be returned to the federal government by HACC. The Office of Financial Aid Services will notify students who are required to return funds to HACC.

Students whose circumstances require that they withdraw from all classes are strongly encouraged to contact the Office of Financial Aid Services and their academic advisor before doing so. At that time, the consequences of withdrawing from all classes can be explained.

Allocating Returned Title IV (Federal) Aid

Funds that are returned to the federal government are used to reimburse the individual federal programs from which the student received the aid. Financial aid returned by HACC must be allocated, in the following order, up to the net amount disbursed from each source:

  1. Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loan

  2. Federal Subsidized Direct Loan

  3. Federal Direct PLUS (Parent) Loan

  4. Federal Pell Grant

  5. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

  6. Other Federal Loan or Grant Assistance

To see an example of how a Return to Title IV is calculated click here.


Site Map | Locations | Contact Us | Employment | Right to Know | Antidiscrimination Policy | Email Webmaster
One HACC Drive, Harrisburg PA 17110 (800) ABC-HACC   .:.  © 1996- 2014   .:.   updated: September 30, 2013
iTunesU Facebook TwitterLinked InYou Tube