spacer Apply Now!!
Spacer HACC Home Page

Financial Aid FAQs

I know I don't qualify for aid, should I still complete the FAFSA?
Yes!  Remember, your family's size, income, and number in college, are all taken into consideration when determining your eligibility. Even if you don't qualify for grants, you still need to have the FAFSA completed to be considered for certain scholarships, work-study, and Federal Direct Stafford and PLUS Loans. It’s also a good idea to have the FAFSA on file just in case you or your parent’s financial situation changes.

HACC is not listed on my FAFSA, what do I do?
You can update your FAFSA with HACC’s Federal School Code (003273).  We suggest that you make HACC your first school choice on your FAFSA so that the PHEAA State Grant Agency can notify us if you are eligible for a State Grant.

When is the deadline for Financial Aid at HACC?
To be considered for the maximum amount of aid possible, please submit the FAFSA by April 15th. Electronically file your federal income taxes first, wait 10 days and then file the FAFSA. To be considered for State Aid, you must submit the FAFSA before May 1st. You can complete the FAFSA anytime during your period of enrollment but no later than June 30th of the end of the academic year whichever comes first, for consideration for the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Direct Stafford Loans or Federal Direct PLUS Loan.

Do I have to be a full time student to qualify for Financial Aid?
No!  Generally, for most financial aid programs, an enrollment status of six (6) credits is required. Enrollment for fall, spring and summer is defined as follows:
  • Full time = 12 or more credits per term
  • ¾ time = 9 - 11 credits per term
  • Half time = 6 - 8 credits per term
  • Less than half time = 1 - 5 credits per term

Why do I have to provide my parents' information?
The Department of Education determines your dependency status and views the student (and their parents or spouse, if applicable) as the primary source of financial support for the student's postsecondary education. A student not living with their parents or claimed on the parents' federal income tax return does not by itself classify a student as independent.

My parents are divorced and I live with my mother and stepfather. Is my stepfather required to provide his information on the FAFSA?
Yes!  First, you need to report your parent's marital status as "married." Next, your mother and stepfather must both supply their financial information (income from work, investments, etc.) when you complete the FAFSA. 

My parents are divorced. I live with my mother but my father claims me on his taxes. What do I do?
Only the custodial parent (parent with whom you lived most in the last year) is required to supply the necessary financial information. In your situation, you will complete all parent financial aid questions using information about your mother.

How do I complete the FAFSA if I can't provide parent information?
Questions on the FAFSA determine dependency status and if parental information is required on the form. Students will not be considered independent because parents refuse to provide the financial information.

Parents should understand that even though their information is required on the FAFSA, they are in no way obligated to pay the student’s charges at the College NOR take out loans on behalf of the student. The only way parents can receive loans is if they themselves initiate the loan application. However, if parental information is required on the FAFSA the student must provide this or the application will remain incomplete. If the FAFSA is incomplete the student is ineligible for federal financial aid including loans. Try explaining the situation again to your parents. Hopefully, when they understand the importance, they will reconsider.

The only exception is if the student has extreme circumstances that might warrant a dependency override. Only the Financial Aid Administrator can authorize a dependency override which is done on a case by case basis and requires significant proof from the student. Some situations that would be considered for an override: Student was removed from the home due to abuse or neglect, parental rights were terminated by the courts, the parents’ whereabouts are unknown, etc. 

I earned a Bachelor's Degree in another country. Would I qualify for Financial Aid?
You may be eligible for federal student loans and work-study programs. Any student, regardless of their citizenship status, with a Bachelor's Degree is not eligible for Federal or State Grants. You must answer “yes" to the question on the FAFSA that asks if you have a Bachelor’s Degree. 

I am not a U.S. Citizen. Will I qualify for Financial Aid?
To qualify for aid, non-U.S. Citizens must have an "eligible noncitizen" status. Contact the Office of Financial Aid Services at the campus you plan to attend for additional information and eligibility requirements.


Site Map | Locations | Contact Us | Employment | Right to Know | Antidiscrimination Policy | Email Webmaster
One HACC Drive, Harrisburg PA 17110 (800) ABC-HACC   .:.  © 1996- 2014   .:.   updated: November 02, 2011
iTunesU Facebook TwitterLinked InYou Tube