In honor of HACC's 50th anniversary, John J. "Ski" Sygielski, Ed.D., HACC's incomparable president, expressed his gratitude for all that Central Pennsylvania does for HACC by biking 170 miles throughout the region with stops at HACC's five campuses – in just three days.
During his bike tour, from April 22-24, 2014, Dr. Ski gave away $41,000 in scholarships, 23 bicycles and more than 50 other giveaways. At each location, he arrived to hear cheers from HACC alumni, board members, community members, employees, donors and students.
|Location for Dr. Ski's Arrival||Number of Attendees|
Lebanon Campus Celebration Station - Lobby
Lancaster Campus Celebration Station - East Lawn
More than 300
York Campus Celebration Station - Leader Building, Rear Parking Lot
More than 200
Gettysburg Campus Celebration Station - Green Space and The Robert C. Hoffman Community Room
More than 200
80 (Midtown 2)
More than 400 (Harrisburg Campus)
Q&A with the 170-mile bike rider, Dr. Ski:
1. What are some of your most memorable moments from your stops at each location?
- Seeing many little children in the audience
- Being in the lobby that was filled with a lot of internal and external constituents
- Meeting up with members of the Frank J. Dixon Foundation on their tandem bike and riding with them onto the Lebanon Campus
- Seeing many external constituents, students and a member of the alumni council at the event
- Seeing many resource tables available to assist students
- Seeing so many students in a small area
- Getting escorted to the door by Levi from the Office of Safety and Security
- Seeing all the giveaways and resource tables
- Feeling the enthusiasm from our bookstore staff
- Having an alumnus' parents pull the name from the hat
- Getting a salad for lunch
- Receiving a T-shirt signed by many of the student leaders
- Seeing donors, members of the local bike club and Board of Trustee members in the audience
- Dancing to a song that was recorded for Ellen DeGeneres' Twitter page
- Seeing so many of our students in attendance for the drawing
- Seeing many of our Midtown faculty members present
- Seeing the joy in my partner's face when he handed out his scholarship to one of the students
- Seeing many students and employees in attendance at the event
- Realizing that a 22-year old and a 62-year old were among the 14 winners
- Experiencing the generosity of individuals and organizations who donated to ensure 14 students became recipients
- Having someone from the community college I attended in Cleveland, OH address the crowd
- Riding into the crowd next to our mascot, the Hawk
- Seeing the number of young children in attendance
2. Did you stop anywhere else on your journey?
"Along the way to and from each campus, I stopped at homes and businesses to ask for directions (when my smartphone battery died), to visit legislators' offices and to meet with school superintendents, the president of Lebanon Valley College, alumni and donors."
3. What were some of the challenges on your bike ride?
"On Tuesday, the rain, winds and heavy truck traffic on my route between Lebanon and Lancaster made it a little more interesting and challenging. I fought some strong wind gusts and heavy truck traffic on Wednesday as well."
"Another challenge was my smartphone battery dying and having to ask people for directions, which in one case, took me five miles out of the way."
4. What other memorable moments were made?There were so many moments captured on video and through photography. Visit our "Most memorable moments" webpage to see and read more.
HACC also wants to thank the following sponsors:
THANK YOU, PSECU, for supporting Dr. Ski's Miles of Gratitude – Tour de HACC as the HACC Five-Campus Celebration Sponsor.
THANK YOU, HACC One-Campus Celebration Station Sponsors:
- Crabtree, Rohrbaugh & Associates Architects – Lancaster Campus
- Francis J. Dixon Foundation – Lebanon Campus
- Lois Lehrman Grass Foundation – Harrisburg Campus
- RPA, Inc. – Gettysburg Campus
- In Memory of Dr. Robert G. Brough
- Pedro Cortes & Lissette Lizardi Cortes
- Steve Perrault
- Henry W. Rhoads, Esq.
- Paul & Lori Rudy
- In Honor of Margaret I. Spahr
- John J. "Ski" Sygielski, Ed. D
- Lancaster Bike Club
- Oak Brook Asset Management Corporation
- McNees, Wallace and Nurick, LLC
- Murray Giving Foundation
- Murray Securus
- York Campus – Full-Time Faculty
THANK YOU, Golden Anniversary Sponsors:
- Premium Event Sponsor:
- Catering Sponsors:
- Eastern PCM, LLC
- GreenWorks Development, LLC
- Registration Sponsors:
- James E. Grandon Jr.
- Murray Associates Architects, P.C.
- PinnacleHealth System
- Promotions Sponsors:
- Norma Gotwalt
- Thomas B. Richey
- Central Penn College
- Enders Insurance
- Gannett Fleming, Inc.
- Highmark Blue Shield and United Concordia Dental
- Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency
- Wilsbach Distributors, Inc.