Project Promoting Academic Success (PAS) Program
Purpose: This program, sponsored by OVR, is designed to give recommended high school students with cognitive disabilities the opportunity to experience a college-level course while they are still in high school. The hope is that the experience might open new possibilities for these students upon completion of their high school career. An important purpose of this program is to give students an accurate picture of what college expectations are. Students will be able to utilize standard HACC support services (e.g. college success workshops, approved accommodations for college work) during the class.
Program Description: The centerpiece of the program is a one-credit college course at the titled, “Promoting Academic Success.” Upon successful completion of the course the student will:
- Demonstrate awareness of disability laws and the rights and responsibilities of students with disabilities in the college setting.
- Explore assistive technology that may assist them in succeeding in college.
- Explore and practice attitudes and behaviors which promote taking personal responsibility for academic success including learning.
- Demonstrate familiarity with the HACC Campus, its programs, policies and especially support services and resources.
- Strengthen and develop academic learning skills such as lecture comprehension and note taking, study strategies, memory improvement, understanding learning styles and test-taking techniques.
- Develop strategies for problem solving and effective decision making.
Participating students will travel to HACC once a week for eight weeks for two-hour class sessions. Tuition, fees, and books for the course are covered by OVR for eligible students. Transportation to the campus is not covered.
Students will earn a letter grade for the course that will appear on a HACC transcript.
Student Eligibility: In order for students to be funded by the grant, they must have a cognitive disability (e.g. Learning Disability, ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder) and be approved by OVR. For fall semester classes, only seniors are eligible. In the spring semester, juniors would be eligible as well.
For more information, please contact the College Pathways Coordinator at the HACC campus closest to your high school between 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday.
Gettysburg & York Campuses
Harrisburg Campus & Virtual Learning
Lancaster & Lebanon Campuses